Revised 1/8/01


Ron Brown, Plane Crash (Commerce, Pathologists question wound to head on xrays) – see section on Ron Brown Plane Crash
Victor Raisner, Plane Crash (National Finance Co-Chair Clinton for President)
R. Montgomery Raiser, Plane Crash (Clinton campaign)
Herschell Friday, Plane Crash (Presidential Campaign Finance Committee)
Paula Gober, Car Accident (Clinton Speech Interpreter)
Stanley Heard, Plane Crash (Clinton Health Care Advisory Committee)
Steven Dickson, Plane Crash (Clinton Health Care Advisory Committee)
Johnny Franklin Lawhon, Car Accident (Found Whitewater Canceled Check in Car after Tornado)
Theodore Williams, Betty Currie's brother, Beaten before Betty's Senate testimony then Car/Pedestrian Accident during Monica story(Key Witness' brother)
Shelley Kelly, Survived Brown Plane Crash - died hours later (Stewardess)
Judy Gibbs, Fire (Alleged Clinton Girlfriend, Witness)
Keith Coney, Motorcycle Accident (Ives/Henry Witness)
Dr Donald Chumley, Plane Crash (Physician at the OKC Murrah building)
Jim Wilhite, Ski Accident (Friend of McLarty)
Dr. Ronald Rogers, Plane Crash (Informant)
Paul Olson, Plane Crash (Witness)
Neal Cooper Moody, Car Accident (Step Son of Vince Foster Widow, Lisa)
William Colby, canoe drowning (former Director of the CIA, editor of "Strategic Investment" which hired experts to investigate Vince Foster's suicide note)
Randall Tyson, choked on a cookie (half brother to Don Tyson)
Woody Lemons, wife and mother, private airplane crash (OKC informant)
Mohammed Samir Ferrat, TWA 800 Plane Crash (Brown connections, initial suspect) – see Ron Brown Plane Crash section
Jan Kopold, accidental fall in Turkey in 1970
Dan Dutko (Head Injuries, Bike accident) DNC Fund Raiser
David Drye, Plane Crash (friend of Matrisciana – Clinton’s Chronicles, etc.)
Lt Colonel Mark Cwick (auto accident, Clinton pilot)
Major Marc Hohle (helicopter crash Okinawa, Clinton pilot)
Eddie Pack (Waco research, microwave exposure)
Reverend Roger Howard (Waco research, automobile)
Manual Howard (Waco research, automobile)
James Ray Dobbins (Waco research, automobile)

Admiral Donald Engen (Accident investigations, glider crash)
Ralph Baker (Arkansas, automobile)
Lt. Gen. David J. McCloud (air accident)
Robert Deas (Scientist, Informant, auto accident – see Lanz in suicide section)


Lt. Gen. David J. McCloud

Air Force News 8/3/98 "…… Lt. Gen. David J. McCloud, commander of Alaskan Command, and Eleventh Air Force, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, died when his private aircraft crashed July 26 at Fort Richardson, Alaska. McCloud, 53, of San Fernando, Calif., was piloting his personal YAK-54, a single-engine aerobatic aircraft, when it crashed at 3:20 p.m. EDT. A civilian passenger, Lewis Cathrow of Alexandria, Va., was also killed in the crash. ……. Throughout his career, the general flew more than a dozen different fighters, bombers, tankers and experimental aircraft, including the F-117 Nighthawk, the B-1B Lancer and the X-29. He was a command pilot with more than 4,100 flight hours. He commanded three wings during his career: the 24th Composite Wing, Howard AFB, Panama; the 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Va.; and the 366th Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. Prior to his assignment to Alaska, he was the director for force structure, resources and assessment for the Joint Staff in the Pentagon. …… He was tasked to conduct point training and to deploy a joint task force when directed by the commander in chief of U.S Pacific Command. He assisted the Federal Emergency Management Agency and other government agencies to provide military assistance to civil authorities during state and federal emergencies. ….."

Ralph Baker

Michael Whiteley 3/22/98 ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE "……A pickup truck and a four-wheeler were missing, but Ralph Baker had more on his mind than stolen vehicles when he set out around 6:15 on the rain-soaked Monday morning of his death. ……… He was deeply troubled by state and federal investigations of the Madison County sheriff's office he had run for more than a quarter-century and concerned by newspaper stories that flew against his reputation as a resolute and fearless lawman. He drowned before the sun was up that day, Jan. 5, apparently having misjudged the rising waters of the White River when he drove onto a low-water bridge near St. Paul. …….The death was so contrary to the nature and history of the 59-year-old sheriff that whispers of suicide or foul play colored gossip in the weeks that followed. …….. In December, the FBI had subpoenaed Baker's bank records amid questions surrounding nearly $500,000 in land purchases by the sheriff and his family. State auditors had been combing the records of the Madison County Drug Eradication Fund since November. And stories in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette had detailed allegations of corruption in the sheriff's office and flaws in the investigation of the unsolved 1994 murder of convenience store owner Billie Jean Phillips…….The investigation deals in part with the sheriff's office's handling of drug cases, and, in part, with financial deals that allowed Baker, his wife and two cousins to buy about 2,400 acres of land in Madison, Franklin and Washington counties with payments of $484,250. Nearly all the purchases were made in cash. ......And it eventually touched on Baker's relationship with the top official at an Arkansas financial institution swept up in the Whitewater investigation -- Gary W. Bunch, president of Madison Bank & Trust. …….. It was the Bank of Kingston when Jim McDougal, Jim Guy Tucker and four others bought it in 1980. One of the renamed bank's early loans was to Hillary Rodham Clinton, who needed $30,000 to build a model home at the Whitewater Development Corp., the project she and Bill Clinton co-owned with Jim and Susan McDougal along the White River in Marion County. Bunch was executive vice president at the time. ……And Bill Clinton, now the nation's chief executive, sent another letter. This one was read aloud for the 2,000 or so people who came for Baker's funeral in St. Paul High School's gymnasium. "Ralph Baker was a wonderful person ... a person who gave so much to his family and community" Clinton wrote. "I'll never forget the support he's given me since the beginning of my career." ………


Eddie Pack
Reverend Roger Howard
Manual Howard
James Ray Dobbins

Partisan Over a year ago - Fall of 1998 (Glass interviews McNulty) Freeper Ada Coddington 9/29/99 "

"…. GLASS: Well, what the hell is going on?
McNULTY: …… But likewise I’m sure that if a reporter from the New York Times asked the current director of the CIA was Colby involved in bringing authoritative information to us in order to expose the FBI – He’d say "I have no idea." And he might be right. But people died. Mr. Colby if indeed he died as a result of his involvement with us and not for some other reason is not the only individual who died during the process of the making of this film.
GLASS: Who else died?
McNULTY: There’s a gentleman by the name of Eddie Pack who supplied us with footage in the early stages of my investigation. He died a very mysterious death from exposure to a rather large burst of microwave energy, which dealt him a very serious blow called cancer. Microwave energy can be used to erase videotapes from long distances, which is what happened in this circumstance. It appears that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Eddie had a habit of intercepting downlink material off of satellites. He came up with some very unusual videotape that was made originally by television networks regarding the events at Waco. Never saw the light of day on the air.
GLASS: How old was Eddie when he died?
McNULTY: Oh gosh, I’m not sure. I think he was in his mid fifties, early fifties. He wound up receiving very serious radiation burns in his esophagus and his throat as a result of his exposure to this microwave energy. They ulcerated and he couldn’t eat. Over a period of time something less than 12 months the ulcers became cancerous. What really got him was the fact that he had been so irradiated that he actually developed cancer of the bone and it spread rapidly throughout his body and in a matter of days he was gone.

There were three others men also killed. Actually four but in two separate instances.
One was an "accident" that involved three of his friends that he was supposed to have been with.
He had a musical repair business back in North Carolina. He used to repair musical instruments for all of the school districts in the three-state area. He was a musician – a very accomplished musician and used to play back-up in Nashville for a number of well-known recording artists – country western. He and his friends, his fellow musicians used to go to these recording sessions as back-up studio musicians. On the evening of January 14, 1994, the four of them were supposed to go to a performance. He got a call and went to another gig. These other three gentlemen, one or two of which had been involved in surreptitious activity in support of what we were trying to do in terms of getting videotapes, went to the original performance.

They had been followed and all kinds of strange stuff. The three of them were travelling in a van on U.S. Highway 221, which ran out of gas on a causeway over a lake in North Carolina. They were hit and struck by a car – a plain vanilla sedan with two gentlemen in it. The accident was witnessed by this woman who stopped and hollered at these two men who had exited their vehicle to inspect what had happened to these men now lying on the ground after having been struck by them. She advised them that she would go to the end of the causeway over the lake they were on and call an ambulance. When she came back the plain vanilla car was gone. The two individuals in the car were gone and the three individuals that were laying on the pavement were now in several pieces strung along the highway having been run over multiple times. The local sheriff did not investigate.

GLASS: What are the names of these people?
McNULTY: Reverend Roger Howard, his 17-year-old son, Manual Howard and James Ray Dobbins.

There was another individual who was helping Eddie financially. Government agents had told the school districts that Eddie was servicing that he was some sort of crazy right wing militia nut and that they shouldn’t do business with him. They said that he was yelling and screaming and writing letters off to Mr. Clinton and Miss Reno about what he had seen and was creating quite a stir. As a result of this Eddie’s business suffered dramatically. Eddie’s son was a police officer and had his police car searched ostensibly for videotapes by federal agents. Eddie’s house had been surreptitiously visited on numerous occasions. On one of those occasions the latest series of videotapes he had made off of the downlink feed from the satellite dish had been erased. They had been reduced to nothing but white noise, stacked up in a pyramid in front of his television and the front door left open. A little calling card if you will. Eddie’s house and car had been the targets of drive-by shootings.

When things had reached rock bottom for Eddie this one man came to his aid financially. He was helping him survive. He was a truck driver who owned a trucking business and he died in a one-vehicle accident one day in clear weather in a rollover of mysterious origins. So people have died in the process of getting all of this done.

GLASS: Now that the tape is out and you’ve distributed copies numbering in the thousands, you’re probably safer now than you were before because if they killed you now – it would just sort of –
McNULTY: It wouldn’t do them any good
GLASS: Right. It would just make the tape a hotter commodity.
McNULTY: I’m not volunteering for that duty, mind you. My dad always taught me that if you are going to dance with the devil you do it in the sunshine so the boogieman can’t get you in the shadows.
GLASS: My point being that whether the death threats made against you were real or if they wanted to kill you or whatever — the point is that if they killed you now – after the fact it would only add more credibility to the message of the film.

McNULTY : And likewise it wasn’t just me. OK? Bill Gazeki and I had an interesting episode in Waco. We were standing out in front of what is called the "Magbag" which is a location where –
GLASS: It was a garage, wasn’t it?
McNULTY: It was a garage where they repaired autos in addition to the many businesses that they had. They had a gun-dealing business, they had a rock and roll band, and they had a car restoration business. And the Magbag was the place where they did the car restoration. We were standing – gosh this was a few years ago – out in front of the Magbag doing what’s called "B roll" where you just film scenery and scenes and settings for fill-in in the film. And this plain vanilla sedan of late make with two Ivy League groomed gentlemen went whizzing by us. We were standing by the side of the road with a big Beta cam camera with a big tripod, etc. and they must have been going 65 or 70 miles per hour down this country road. They got down to the end of the Y intersection and did a high speed U turn, like you see in any cop movie.

GLASS: Steve McQueen –Bullet. McNULTY: Yea. Steve McQueen Bullet kind of stuff. And came hauling back to where we were standing. They pulled up even with us so we couldn’t see the license plates front or back and stepped out of the car and proceeded to ask us if we were making a movie. They introduced themselves as a local and his friend who was a tourist. We asked the "tourist" what he did and he said that he was some sort of a biochemist who had a lot of knowledge about things like methalyne chloride, which was the carrier ingredient of the CS gas at Waco. And they began to tell us more about our movie than we ourselves knew. And they never identified themselves beyond being a tourist and a local businessman and they began getting really irritated with us and telling us that in threatening tones. They started yelling that we couldn’t make a movie on this subject because we didn’t know what we were talking about, that we didn’t really know what happened. And I’m wondering who are you to tell us that we don’t know? What do you know? Who are you?

So we decided when the one gentleman who was the biochemist – when the veins started to bulge out of his neck and his face started to turn red and he started yelling and screaming that maybe it was a good time to leave. So we packed our gear, threw it in the back of the car and pardoned ourselves with the explanation that we had other things to do and so long. As the director got into the car he yelled back over his shoulder "And don’t forget get our names right in the reports." They didn’t take that kindly. So we left.

Two days later we were at the Dallas airport 100 miles away leaving for Boston and here come these same two individuals walking down the thoroughfare just as we’re starting to board. And they make like they don’t see us and go over and stand in this food line a little further down the concourse. As we boarded our aircraft I went through the gate and peeked around the corner and I saw that they had left the food line with no food in their hands and started walking over to the gate. Who were these guys? Well, anybody that can read between the lines could say that they were probably FBI agents trying to put a little pressure on us not to do what we were doing. That kind of thing.

And so Gazeki and I had those occasions. Mr. Gifford, the executive producer had some problems last year with state taxes. I’ve had my problems with the IRS and Mr. Gazeki was told that he was being audited just a couple of weeks ago. Is the government putting pressure on us? I find it curious that all three of us could be having problems with the tax collectors right at a time when we produce and release a film critical of the government. The odds of all three of us having problems with taxes at the same time are not very likely. So I would say yeah that they’re on to us and looking for ways to pressure us but it’s a little late.
GLASS: Cat’s out of the bag….."


Ronald Rogers Dan Jacobson 1/1/99 "……This crash happened near Lawton, Oklahoma on March 3, 1994, two days after the crash near Little Rock, Arkansas that killed Herschel Friday. The pilot and three passengers of the Cessna 310K were all killed when the plane impacted the ground in an inverted position. The cause of this accident was apparently a complete failure (from undetermined causes) of the plane's electrical system, and subsequent disorientation of the pilot. One of the passengers aboard this plane is only possibly tied to Clinton. The then Washington bureau chief for London's Sunday Telegraph was reporting on Clinton's background, and one of his contacts had set up a meeting between him and a dentist from Arkansas. The informant was going to share with the reporter something he claimed to know about Clinton's days in his home state. But the meeting never materialized. The contact called the reporter and told him that his informant had died in a plane crash. Someone else later told the reporter that this informant was Dr. Ronald Rogers, a dentist from Hot Springs, Arkansas who was a passenger on the ill-fated plane. …."


Stanley Heard 1999 Dan Jacobson "....On September 10, 1993, just four months after the crash of the Whitehouse helicopter, another associate of Bill Clinton died in a fiery plane crash. Stanley Heard was a chiropractor from Hot Springs, Arkansas, and friend of Clinton since 1978. Clinton had sought Heard's help in running for attorney general of Arkansas, and had shared with him his dream of becoming governor of Arkansas and, eventually, President of the United States. Over the years, Dr. Heard had personally treated Clinton's mother, step-father, and brother. Heard was the chairman of the National Chiropractic Health Care Advisory Committee, and represented the chiropractic profession in Hillary Clinton's Health Care Task Force. Heard and Steven Dickson, a legal counsel for the Kansas Chiropractic Association, were taking off from Dulles International Airport in Washington after attending a briefing on Clinton's health care plan, when a fire broke out in the engine compartment of the six-seat Piper Cherokee they were flying. They tried to make an emergency landing on a private airstrip in Virginia, but their plane clipped a tree, hit the ground and exploded into flames. The NTSB reported the cause of the crash to be problems with the exhaust system, and therefore "an inadequate annual inspection," which had been performed some three flight-hours before the fateful flight. According to the NTSB, the left intermediate and left cross-over exhaust pipes had separated, allowing hot gases to flow into the engine compartment. A clamp securing the exhaust pipes to the accessory case was missing. Ironically, on the way to Washington, Dickson's own private plane had developed engine trouble, and he had been forced to land in St. Louis, where he rented the ill-fated Piper Cherokee......"


Victor Raiser and Montgomery Raiser

WorldNetDaily 9/24/98 "…C. Victor Raiser II National Finance Co-Chairman, Clinton for President Campaign Died July 30, 1992 Montgomery Raiser Son of C. Victor Raiser II Died July 30, 1992 Both men died in a private plane crash in Alaska, en route to a fishing expedition. No cause was ever determined. Five others not connected to Clinton died with them. DeeDee Meyers described Raiser as a "major player" in the Clinton organization. Victor raiser was also chairman of Mobile Telecomm Technologies Corp., whose subsidiary, SkyTel Corp. is an international paging company used by federal police agencies such as the FBI. Victor Raiser was a Washington lawyer and he was counsel to the Washington law firm of Jones Day Reavis & Pogue until 1991. At his death, he was the national finance co-chairman of the Clinton for President campaign. He and his wife had been friends of the Clintons for ten years. He was the past national finance chairman of the Democratic National Committee. He served on the boards of the Democratic Business Council and the Center for National Policy and the board of advisers of the Democratic Leadership Council. On May 29, 1993, President Clinton announced that he had selected Raiser's widow, Molly Raiser, 50, former Democratic co-chair of the Women's Campaign Fund, to be his protocol chief and stated that he planned to nominate her for confirmation as an ambassador.." 1999 Dan Jacobson "....On August 4, 1992, presidential candidate Bill Clinton and his running mate, Al Gore sat silently near the front of the large National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. They had postponed a bus tour of campaigning in the Midwest, and were attending the funeral services for C. Victor Raiser II, the national co-chairman of finance for Clinton's 1992 campaign. Raiser had taken a brief pause from his grueling schedule to do some fishing for salmon in Alaska with his son Montgomery, and C. Taylor Kew, Raiser's longtime friend from his home town of Buffalo, New York. A deHavilland Beaver floatplane was carrying these three men and three other passengers to a remote fishing lodge. The pilot, seeing the clouds were too low to make it over a pass, tried to turn around in a narrow valley when the engine stalled, and the plane hit the side of a mountain. Only the pilot and Kew survived the crash, both suffering serious burns. Kew made a partial recovery in an Anchorage hospital, but a month after the crash (the day after returning home to Buffalo) he collapsed and died. The report of the crash issued by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) states that the pilot was diagnosed with a diabetic condition upon admission to the hospital after the crash. The pilot had no record of any diabetic condition before the accident. The NTSB ruled the probable cause of the accident as pilot error. Mr. Raiser was an influential man; Clinton and Gore were not the only important dignitaries attending his funeral. He was a prominent fixture in the affairs of the Democratic Party. Among many important positions he held were chairman of the American Mobile Satellite Corporation, the national finance chairman of the Democratic National Committee, and a position on the board of advisers of the Democratic Leadership Council...."

Hershell Friday

WorldNetDaily 9/24/98 "…. Hershell Friday Attorney and Clinton fund raiser. Died March 1, 1994 Killed when his plane exploded. Cause unknown.." Dan Jacobson 1/1/99 "…… Seventy-two year old Herschel Friday was a partner in the largest law firm in Arkansas. He was a much-loved man with friends in high places in both political parties, including former President Bush and President Clinton. In 1971, sources in the Nixon Administration stated that President Nixon planned to name Friday, a Democrat, to the Supreme Court, but that he decided that Senate confirmation would be unlikely, and searched for other names. Friday, like Victor Raiser, was a prominent figure in Clinton's 1992 presidential Campaign Finance Committee. On March 1, 1994, Friday was approaching his private air strip in the country near North Little Rock, Arkansas, when he temporarily lost his instrument lights. When he regained the lights, according to his son, who was waiting for him at the strip to monitor his landing, Friday began his base turn to land, when the plane nose-dived into the ground, exploding on impact. The NTSB report simply cited "pilot error" as the cause of the accident. No serious problems with the airplane were found in the investigation of the crash. President Clinton called Friday a "good man and a great citizen," and stated that he had been a friend of his for 30 years. At the end of a relatively coherent and lively press conference in which the President addressed a number of other matters, a reporter asked him whether he was going to go to Arkansas to attend his funeral. Clinton gave this odd response: "I don't know. I don't know what the facts are yet. I just heard about it this morning. I actually - right before I went to work early this morning I heard about it." He did not attend the funeral….."

Johnny Franklin Lawhon

A tornado caused a garage mechanic to discover decade old documents which corroborate testimony of Jim McDougal in White Water. The mechanic's son (Lawhon) died in a car accident a year later. McDougal died while in solitary. (Freeper Steven W )

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette 3/31/98 OBITUARIES-Pulaski County "…..JOHNNY FRANKLIN LAWHON, JR., 29, of Mabelvale, passed away Sunday, March 29, 1998. He was a manager of Johnny's Transmission. He is survived by his parents, Johnny and Glenda Lawhon of Mabelvale; one brother, James Hoyette Lawhon of Mabelvale and his grandmother, Mary Josile Lawhon of Ft. Worth, Texas….."

KATV News 3/31/98 Johnny Franklin Lawhon, Jr. Dies In Car Wreck "…….Just over a year ago a violent tornado forced the discovery of Madison Guaranty documents stashed away in the trunk of a Mercury Marquis since the mid '80's. The March 1997 tornado produced many Whitewater related documents, including a copy of a $27,000 cashiers check drawn on Madison and payable to Bill Clinton. …… Son of the owner, and manager of Johnny's Transmission, Johnny Franklin Lawhon, Jr. (age 29) was killed early Sunday, March 29, 1998 when his black 1997 Corvette travelling at high speed left the road before crashing into a tree and coming to rest wrapped around a power pole…. The accident occurred on Sardis road not too far from the junk yard. …….. Investigators at the scene noted the car had only travelled about a quarter of a mile before becoming airborn, and carrying Lawhon, Jr. to his death. A passenger in the car, Arlen Wayne Nugent, survived the crash, but was hospitalized in critical condition. Although it was reported that beer was found in the car, young Lawhon had not been drinking. ……"


Bill Hanna, Star-Telegram Writer THE FORT WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM; METRO; Pg. 1 6/8/99 "…… A 16-month prison sentence for a Hood County man who participated in one of the largest vehicle theft rings in Texas drew fire yesterday from law enforcement officials who said it is too lenient for the crime. Johnson County Commissioner R.C. McFall, who helped discover the ring when he caught Lawhon in the act of stealing a 38,000-pound county-owned back-end loader in January 1998, was equally upset. "Good God, we're in the wrong business," McFall said. "It sounds to me like the law is telling you you can get more jail time for a first-time DWI offense than stealing millions of dollars of equipment. " ……..Assistant U.S. Attorney Richard Roper said anyone upset with the verdict should remember that Lawhon wasn't the only member of the theft ring. …… Without Lawhon's cooperation, defense attorney Don Carter said, authorities would not have been able to arrest William Schritter, 60, who was detained in March after returning from Costa Rica. Schritter has since entered a guilty plea to the same offense as Lawhon. ……Another individual has not been indicted and another suspected member of the ring, Lawhon's nephew, Johnny Lawhon, died last year in a car wreck. Johnny Lawhon, who lived in Arkansas, was also a witness in the Whitewater case against President Clinton. ……"

OBITUARIES-Pulaski County Arkansas Democrat-Gazette 3/31/98 "….. JOHNNY FRANKLIN LAWHON, JR., 29, of Mabelvale, passed away Sunday, March 29, 1998. He was a manager of Johnny's Transmission. He is survived by his parents, Johnny and Glenda Lawhon of Mabelvale; one brother, James Hoyette Lawhon of Mabelvale and his grandmother, Mary Josile Lawhon of Ft. Worth, Texas. …."

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette 11/27/97 Joe Stumpe "…..The deposit date on a recently discovered cashier's check made out to President Clinton seems to confirm that the check was used to pay off a loan to Whitewater Development Corp. But an apparently authentic copy of the 15-year-old check obtained by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette doesn't indicate whether Clinton knew about the check or loan repayment. ….The cashier's check was found this spring among documents from Madison Guaranty in the trunk of a tornado-damaged car parked at a southwest Little Rock transmission shop. The check's existence only became public knowledge this month. …….. Henry Floyd, a former Madison Guaranty employee, has said he was expected to deliver the documents to a warehouse in 1988 but took his car to the shop to have it repaired. Floyd left his car there after a dispute over the repair bill, and he forgot about the documents. Johnny Lawhon, owner of the transmission shop, turned the check over to independent counsel Kenneth Starr's investigators shortly after it was found. ….. The cashier's check apparently was not available at the time of the RTC report, which stated that the loan repayment came from an "unstated source." ……"

Mark Waller 9/10/98 The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette; NEWS; Pg. B1 "…..Texas investigators believe Johnny Lawhon, who ran a transmission shop in Mabelvale, was part of a massive auto theft ring that took dozens of cars from Arkansas. In January, McFall was driving on U.S. 67 when he saw Charles Lawhon trying to get a county-owned back-end loader onto a flat-bed truck. McFall said the heavy loader had pushed the truck into the mud. When Lawhon tried to drive away, the truck's drive shaft broke. ……Texas officials and FBI agents from Fort Worth are continuing their investigation. At least four people are suspected to have participated in the ring. One of them has ties to Costa Rica, which has led officials to look for stolen cars there. ……. Carter said he asked Lawhon about the involvement of his nephew, Johnny Lawhon. But he said he's uncertain of Johnny Lawhon's role. "Everybody's been laughing about this Whitewater thing," McFall said. "It's crazy stuff." Johnny Lawhon found a $ 27,600 cashier's check made payable to Bill Clinton in the trunk of a 1979 or '80 Mercury Marquis at the transmission shop. ……The check was dated in 1982. It had not been endorsed by Clinton. Lawhon also found thousands of pages of rotting documents. "There was so much in the trunk that the back was weighted down," Lawhon said in November 1997. …….The Marquis had belonged to Henry Floyd, who was a clerk for Madison Guaranty, the failed savings and loan that was owned by James McDougal, a former business partner of President Clinton and his wife Hillary. McDougal was convicted of several Whitewater felonies in May 1996 along with his ex-wife, Susan, and former Arkansas Gov. Jim Guy Tucker. ……"There were cashier's checks just lying there," Lawhon said. "I come to one that has Bill Clinton's name on it. I saw McDougal's name, Jim Guy Tucker's name, and I thought this might be something they were looking for." ….."

Bill Hanna 9/9/98 FORT WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette; NEWS; Pg. A12 "…… From behind the closed gate of the Lawhon Exotic Ranch, officials say, the tentacles of a theft ring reached out to five states, to Costa Rica and even to a deceased witness in the Whitewater investigation. "He has accepted full responsibility," Carter said. "He certainly wasn't the mastermind. I think that fact will bear itself out later, after he pleads in federal court." Three others, including Lawhon's nephew, Johnny Lawhon Jr., 29, of Mabelvale, Ark., are believed to be major players, investigators said. Johnny Lawhon, who gained notoriety after finding Whitewater documents and a cashier's check made out to President Clinton in the trunk of a car, died March 29 in an auto accident. Internet reports of his death were circulated on anti-Clinton Web sites under such headings as "Clinton Witness Life Expectancy Hits All Time Low." But investigators now say they believe Johnny Lawhon was also part of the theft ring. ….."There were four main characters -- one now deceased," said Department of Public Safety Sgt. Mike Ditto. ……"

William Colby

Freeper archy:

27 APR 1996: Former Director of Central Intelligence [CIA director] William Colby, 76 drowned while canoeing in the Wimocico River near Colby's home in Rock Point, Md.

For the previous two years, Colby had been a contributing editor with a monthly financial newsletter, Strategic Investment, co-edited by James Dale Davidson and former Times of London editor Lord William Rees Mogg, and which had been closely covering the unfolding economic and banking aspects of the Whitewater scandal and the contemporaneous shooting death of White House deputy counsel Vincent Foster. In February Colby had begun a weekly column on geo-political matters and their effects on investments in Strategic Weekly Briefings - a facsimile newsletter tailored for high-income investors, and had developed an interest in the Waco events and their connection to the dead White House lawyer.


William E. Colby (1920-1996) was born in St. Paul, Minnesota and received a bachelor's degree from Princeton University in 1940 and a law degree from Columbia in 1947. During World War II, he worked in the Office of Strategic Services, serving behind the lines in France and Norway. After the war and a brief stint practicing law, he returned to the craft of intelligence, serving the Central Intelligence Agency in Rome, Stockholm, and Saigon, before becoming the bureau chief of the Far Eastern Division (based in Washington) from 1963 to 1968. He served in increasingly responsible positions culminating in his promotion to Director of Central Intelligence in 1973. Noted as the "gentleman spy who let the sun shine in" on the CIA, Colby was at the agency's helm at the height of public concerns over its activities. He responded to these concerns by disclosing details of many CIA operations--some of a dubious nature--earning the opprobrium of many within the agency and the admiration of its critics. In 1976, President Gerald Ford asked for his resignation and appointed a more circumspect George Bush to the directorate. Colby published his memoirs, Honorable Men, My Life in the CIA, in 1978. He returned to the business world, serving as a consultant to businesses with international interests (specializing in the Far East) and giving speeches on national security, the role of intelligence in a democracy, and current world affairs. On April 27, 1996, he disappeared while canoeing on the Wicomico River near his home in Maryland and was found several days later. His death was ruled an accident, and authorities presumed he had a stroke or heart attack before falling into the water.

Bio info from the
the Colby Papers 3/25/99 Christopher Ruddy "…On April 29, 1996, the wires flashed with hot news: Former CIA Director William Colby had disappeared from his country home on the Wicomico River in Maryland. Authorities suspected he died in a canoeing accident, as his waterlogged canoe was found on the shore near his home. A week later, his body surfaced in the marsh near his home. After a perfunctory autopsy, local police authorities closed the case as an accident. Still, there were many reasons to suspect foul play. These suspicions began as soon as the initial press reports came out. As expected, the Associated Press ran the first wire story. Colby "was missing and presumed drowned" the AP reported. The wire story said he died as the result of "an apparent boating accident." Quoting a source close to Mrs. Colby, who was in Texas at the time her husband disappeared, the AP stated Colby had spoke via phone with his wife on the day he disappeared. He told her he was not feeling well, "but was going canoeing anyway." This would be an important clue pointing to an accidental death, had it been true. But someone fabricated this story out of whole cloth. A week later, Colby's wife rebutted the AP report, telling the Washington Times her husband was well, and made no mention of canoeing. This initial, false report that relieved obvious suspicion was, for me, a red flag of a cover-up Interesting, too, were the obituaries being written. All detailed Colby's fabled career in the World War II-era OSS, the James Bond-like spy who parachuted behind Nazi lines and became a stellar CIA agent. After heading up the Company's Phoenix program in Vietnam, Colby was tapped by President Nixon for the position of DCI -- Director of Central Intelligence. These obituaries detailed a formidable list of Colby's associations after he left the CIA. Yet, nowhere did any media report Colby's most significant occupation at the time of his death -- contributing editor for Davidson's Strategic Investment. Odd that Colby's major affiliation at the same time of his death deserved no notice…."

2/28/94 THE WHITE HOUSE Office of the Press Secretary "……The President today announced his intent to nominate Sally Shelton-Colby as the Assistant Administrator of the Bureau for Global Programs, Field Support and Research. "I am pleased to nominate Sally Shelton-Colby to the position," the President said, adding "Her foreign affairs experience and educational background will be a great asset to the Agency for International Development." Ambassador Shelton-Colby is currently a senior Fellow and Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University's Center for Latin American Studies. She served from 1979 to 1981 as U.S. Ambassador to Grenada and Barbados. Prior to that, she was a Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs and served on the U.S. Mission to the United Nations. ….."

1/14/97 Foreign Policy Alert, No. 31, American Foreign Policy Council, Washington, D.C. "……National Security Adviser Anthony Lake sought to "tar" congressional critics of the troubled U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) by branding them "back-door isolationist," according to a 1995 memorandum by a high-level USAID official. The memo suggests that Lake was part of an administration "strategy" to "delay, postpone, obfuscate [and] derail" congressional attempts to reform the foreign policy-making process. Lake's nomination to become CIA Director gives the memorandum new relevance. …..The Issue. The administration and USAID bureaucracy have fought attempts to reform the international assistance system, which critics from both ends of the political spectrum say is hampered by favoritism, fraud, waste, and abuse.. …However, a May 3, 1995 internal memorandum by USAID Assistant Administrator Sally Shelton to posts around the world shows the administration avoiding an honest debate, choosing instead to "tar" congressional critics and to "delay, postpone, obfuscate [and] derail" Capitol Hill attempts at reform of the foreign affairs budget (called the 150 account)….."

CNN AllPolitics 5/6/96 "…..The body of former CIA Director William Colby was recovered this morning about 20 yards from where his capsized, half-submerged canoe was found eight days ago, the sheriff's department said. The body was discovered about 8 a.m. EDT by searchers from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources patroling the Wicomico River, a tributary of the Potomac River. Colby's body was identified by his wife, Sally Shelton-Colby. Last week, she said she hoped her husband would be found, injured and awaiting rescue. An autopsy is scheduled to determine the cause of death. Authorities said they believe Colby's body had been submerged where it was found, and it only recently rose to the surface, CNN Producer Gavin Thomas reported from the scene. Decomposition creates gases which make a submerged body more buoyant. Colby, 76, was director of the CIA in the 1970s. He was reported missing after he went canoeing in front of his vacation home in southern Maryland on April 27. His disappearance touched off a search by air and water using divers and specially trained dogs. for articles about AllPolitics home page …."

9/12/96 THE WHITE HOUSE Office of the Press Secretary "……Today, the President announced that Ambassador Richard Holbrooke will lead the Presidential Delegation to observe this Saturday's Bosnian elections. In addition to Holbrooke, the former chief negotiator for Bosnia, the delegation consists of Members of Congress, senior Administration officials and distinguished private American citizens. ….. The Delegation will be available to media in Sarajevo for preliminary comment before returning home to report their findings and observations to the President. Members of the Delegation include: Head of Delegation
The Honorable Richard Holbrooke Vice Chairman of CS First Boston Members of the Delegation
The Honorable John Menzies U.S. Ambassador to Bosnia …….
The Honorable Sally A. Shelton Assistant Administrator U.S. Agency for International Development


6/30/99 "…..HILLARY CLINTON'S VIDEOTAPED REMARKS AT DEMOCRACY FORUM "……"Democracy can only be sustained when its values are rooted in the hearts, minds, and actions. Elections in and of themselves don't make democracies, but men and women, citizens, practicing their responsibilities of citizenship, that is what makes a democracy." These were the words of First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton in videotaped remarks June 30, the final day of the Emerging Democracies Forum in Sanaa, Yemen. Seventeen countries worldwide participated in the conference, with the goal to "advance an international agenda of cooperation among democracies, and help create the citizens of tomorrow." The forum was sponsored by the Government of Yemen and the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs....,,
Videotaped Remarks THE EMERGING DEMOCRACIES FORUM Sanaa, Yemen……. I also greatly appreciate my friend Sally Shelton Colby for her kind words of introduction, and for all she is doing at USAID to promote democracy and economic opportunity worldwide. ….."

From email "……. I am aware that your research on the "Body Count" does not offer a motive for anyone to kill William Colby. But look at this material copied from a Freeper post today (entitled What is the life expectancy of a Waco investigator?): Dave Hardy knew Ghigliotti's work and had visited him in his Laurel, Md. office…… "When gunshots on the FLIR (government Forward-Looking Infrared footage, obtained by documentary film producer Mike McNulty under the Freedom of Information Act) were first seen, back in 1996, we took the tape to (CBS television's) '60 Minutes,' " recalls attorney Hardy, who was also using the FOIA at the time to write a book on the militarization of law enforcement. " '60 Minutes' said they wanted a second opinion, so they sent it to a firm called Infraspection, in Vermont, I seem to remember. It came back with a written report that said 'Yeah, those are gunshots, and we can see people moving around.' Then '60 Minutes' killed the story; this is back in 1996. "Afterward, Infraspection refused to publicly confirm its findings, apparently because of potential negative consequences to the firm-I think those were the words they used. At that point, the guy's comment was 'Too many people are in their graves over this already.' I believe he was referring at that point to William Colby, whom Gordon (Novel) said had given him the FLIR gunshot info, and who had been found dead just before this conversation." When Infraspection declined to have anything further to do with analyzing the Waco footage, they referred Hardy to Carlos Ghigliotti, who ran a lab in Laurel, Md….."


Jan Kopold

World Net Daily 4/30/99 Joel A. Ruth ".... On December 19, 1969, Bill Clinton had boarded an Aeroflot flight from London for the USSR to Moscow, the center of world atheism and the capital of the Soviet-Marxist state. William Jefferson Clinton's pilgrimage to the Soviet Union was the climax of a busy fall semester as a "Rhodes Scholar" at Oxford. It should perhaps be mentioned to those impressed by such presumed status that Rhodes Scholarships are granted to individuals passing ideological muster whose sentiments during the interview process are reflective of acceptable left-wing views to the selection committees, and not because of good grades..... "

"…While Bill Clinton has never explained who paid for his trip to Moscow, he was accompanied by a friend and fellow Oxford student, Czech Jan Kopold. They were to attend a meeting of the War Moratorium Committee to be held January 2, 1970. Upon arrival, Clinton did not check into a youth hostel, but rather stayed at the Hotel National, the most exclusive and expensive one in Moscow of that time -- a ritzy place usually reserved for foreign ambassadors and high-level Communist Party apparatchiks…. Clinton has also never accounted for the 11 days spent in Moscow before the actual meeting of the War Moratorium and has never revealed who paid his expenses or what he did or who he met with during that time....."

"…Even more telling was Clinton's January 4 return trip from Moscow on another Aeroflot jet. The flight terminated in Prague, then the capital of the Czechoslovakian Soviet Socialist Republic (CSSR). There, Clinton was a guest of Jan Kopold's father, Bedrich Kopold and Jan's maternal grandmother Maria Svermova, who was the original founder of the Czech Communist Party in the 1930s...... The entire Kopold clan was a significant part of the ruling Communist party elite and was responsible for those murders and deportations either by the act or as formulators of policy.. ....Years later, when Clinton was President, he again flew to Moscow, this time on Air Force One, to meet Boris Yeltsin. Then, on his return flight he had the plane stop in Prague, where, besides playing the saxophone -- important stuff -- he went to visit the parents of his Oxford friend Jan Kopold. By then, Maria Svermova had died of old age. As for Jan Kopold, he had been killed earlier in an "accidental fall" in Turkey in 1970, becoming perhaps the first of a long string of former Clinton friends and associates to meet an untimely end. ...."

Dan Dutko

AP FoxNews 7/27/99 "…Dan Dutko, a major Democratic fund-raiser and member of the Democratic National Committee, died Tuesday of head injuries suffered in a mountain biking accident over the weekend in Aspen. He was 54. Dutko was in Aspen for a Democratic fund-raiser attended by President Clinton on Saturday. He was co-chairman of Leadership 2000, the DNC's top finance committee. Dutko first met Clinton while coordinating the McGovern campaign in West Texas in 1972. He held many other high-level political positions, including vice chairman of finance for Clinton-Gore ..."

David Drye

Worldnetdaily 8/3/99 Sarah Foster "...Strange, too, was the plane crash, June 14, which took the life of Matrisciana's friend David Drye, a Concord, N.C., builder and well-known businessman, his wife Ann, his vice president of construction and the pilot. The plane -- a two-engine prop -- crashed as it was taking off from Concord Regional Airport. According to the Charlotte Observer, the pilot -- Kelly Ward -- told air traffic controllers that his right engine was losing power just before the accident. "He was a dear friend of mine," said Matrisciana, "but the strange thing is that I was scheduled to fly with him to Washington and had to cancel out two hours before I was supposed to meet him in North Carolina. He made other plans and went on the plane. The plane crash was very suspicious -- and it's under investigation." "I can't help but wonder if that crash weren't really for me," said Matrisciana. "There have been so many accidents and unexplained deaths." ..."

AP 8/20/99 "…One of President Clinton's helicopter pilots has been critically hurt in a car crash in Virginia. Marine Lieutenant Colonel Mark Cwick was on his way his way home Thursday. State police say a car he was trying to pass moved in front of him, and to avoid it, he swerved off the road into an embankment and hit some trees. Cwick is on life support at a hospital in Fredericksburg, Virginia…."


9/8/96 Daily Republican Newspaper "…President Clinton was in Orlando, Florida on Friday. He was stumping for votes in his re-election bid for the presidency. He traveled to Florida by helicopter. He had just deplaned and was being driven in a motorcade to a political rally at Valencia Community College. While en route to Valencia, one of the Marine helicopters in the president's squadron burst into flames and was totally destroyed. The six persons on the chopper escaped without serious injury, the White House said. The dramatic events on Friday led to president Clinton's order for a complete top-to-bottom audit of the Marine Corps Air Wing at Quantico. Within moments of the explosion of the president's chopper, another one in the president's squadron was forced to make an emergency crash-landing in a farmer's field after its hydraulic system failed. The 12 persons on board the second chopper were unhurt. ….But, the most recently reported incident was the unexplained crash of the C-30 cargo plane transporting White House secret service staff and a top-secret communications van which Clinton used on his vacation at Jackson Hole, Wyoming on Aug. 17, 1996. Friday’s crash involved two choppers, one crash and the emergency crash-landing of another according to Pentagon spokesman Kenneth Bacon. The crash happened when one Sea Knight chopper flipped on the tarmac and was consumed within a couple of minutes by a fire-ball and dense black smoke seen from miles away. …. "

Freeper email "……You have one person listed, Pat Drye, who was killed in a plane crash. It just so happens that he had just funded the filming of a video about getting Christians to pull their children out of public schools and instead home school. ……Fom "...Mr. Drye helped underwrite the cost of a video written by Mr. Moore, entitled, _Let My Children Go_. The film - a production of Jeremiah Films, a leader in the production of Christian films - is a project of Exodus 2000, Mr. Moore's effort to convince Christian parents that they should abandon publicly funded government schools. ……. In fact, the night before Mr. Drye and his wife Ann died in a plane crash in June, he and much of his family had watched the newly-release film. "He was real excited about it," said Ken Jewell, Mr. Drye's son-in-law and headmaster at the school Mr. Drye founded in Concord, NC, Classical Covenant School." …….I also seem to recall that Drye, in addition to being Pat Matrisciana's friend, had funded "The Clinton Chronicles." …."

Shelly Kelly Christopher Ruddy and Hugh Sprunt Pittsburgh Tribune-Review 11/24/97 "...*The survivor. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Shelley Kelly, a stewardess, survived the crash for some four hours. Kelly and another stewardess had been seated in a jumpseat at the very rear of the 737. That area was found basically intact after the crash. According to the Air Force, she received first aid from Croatian rescuers but died on the way to a nearby hospital. Her autopsy report states that Kelly died of a broken neck..."

Freeper Earn Your Vote 8/27/99 "…Cogswell said that 'depending on who you talked to' Kelly was found either walking around or with a deep cut on her leg. Janoski, in her interview with Phelan, mentioned that there were several false stories about Kelly. Janoski seemed to believe that there was nothing suspicious about her death…."

9/12/96 Dornan's comments re Shelly Kelly--Congressional Record "Here is a document, a political document. Looks like a Federal document, but it is not. I do not even know the group that sent it out, but it says `Murder in the First Degree: Interim Report on the Death of commerce Secretary Ron Brown and 34 Other citizens'. And in the first paragraph, and I am going to check this, as the chairman of an Armed Services subcommittee and Committee on National Security, it says all 35 people were dead at the crash except for a stewardess. That is not the right title. They are sergeant attendants. Shelly Kelly, who was riding in the tail, sustained only minor cuts and bruises; that she was well enough to get out as sole survivor of the 35 on the plane; that she climbed on the helicopter itself, it says here. This goes on for 37 pages. And that she died on the helicopter mysteriously. I flew four times with Sergeant Shelly Kelly. Her husband is an Air Force sergeant. Two children. And in the PX, where we went to get some supplies, some toiletries for a trip into Bosnia with Shelly Kelly on this very same airplane, she was in the line ahead of me. Intelligent, strikingly professional, good looking lady sergeant. And I said why are you buying those wine bottles; is my crew partying tonight? Oh, no. I always bring home two wine bottles from everywhere I go as air mobility command member, Congressman. And she said my husband does the same. He is up at Ramstein. And when I get home, we have one bottle of wine at dinner, and then we save the other one. We have quite a collection to give to our children. Well, Shelly Kelly is in heaven now, Mr. Speaker, and her husband is left with that wine bottle collection from all around the world. These two excellent servants of the people in the Air Mobility Command. And I am going to have to find out if there is any truth that she survived that crash, less than a month after CODEL members, the gentleman from Alabama, Sonny Callahan, the gentleman from Arizona, Bob Stump, myself, and four or five other Members flew four times on that aircraft, from Aviano to Zagreb to Tuzla and other flights in that area just March of this year." …"

(April 3, 1996) - letter to Congress James W Nugent, Pres The Wall Street Underground – "…Crash site, 7:20 P.M.: Four hours and 20 minutes after the crash, the first Croatian Special Forces search party arrives on the scene and finds only Ms. Kelly surviving. They call for a helicopter to evacuate her to the hospital. When it arrives, she is able to get aboard without assistance from the medics. But Kelly never completes the short hop. She dies enroute. According to multiple reports given to journalist/editor Joe L. Jordan, an autopsy later reveals a neat three-inch incision over her main femoral artery. It also shows that the incision came at least three hours afterall her other cuts and bruises…. Further autopsies will probably not happen. At this writing, Clinton has ordered the cremation of all victims. It's hard to perform autopsies on ashes….."

Lt Colonel Mark Cwick 8/22/99 "…Lt. Colonel Mark Cwick, a Marine Corp helicopter pilot who served President Bill Clinton, died this past week in what appears to have been a car accident. Cwick, 41, was pronounced dead Friday at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Virginia. On Thursday night, Colonel Cwick suffered fatal injuries when driving to his home. Police told the Associated Press that "a car [Cwick] was trying to pass moved in front of him, and to avoid it, he swerved off the road into an embankment and hit some trees." Colonel Cwick was no ordinary person. As a member of the elite Marine Corps HMX-1 unit, he was responsible for ferrying the President and other high-ranking officials around the Washington area. Apparently, Colonel Cwick has also fallen victim to the Clinton Curse. It has become undeniable that an unusual number of people close to Bill Clinton have died in accidental, violent and often suspicious deaths. Within Cwick’s own elite HMX-1 Unit, two other strange deaths are known to have occurred. This past April, Major Marc Hohle, who had been a pilot for Bill Clinton during the first year of Clinton's first term, died in a helicopter crash in Okinawa. Three others also died in the crash. In March of this year, just a month before Hohle’s untimely death, another member of HMX-1 unit died. Marine Cpl. Eric S. Fox, a helicopter crewman, was found dead with a gunshot wound to his head. Police authorities said Fox's body was found near a school yard in West Virginia…."

Washington Post 8/21/99 "….A member of the elite Marine Corps helicopter unit that serves President Clinton and other Washington dignitaries died yesterday morning of massive injuries suffered during a single-car accident in Stafford County. Lt. Col. Mark Cwick, 41, was pronounced dead yesterday at 6:05 a.m. at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, state police said. Cwick was critically injured…."

The Village Voice 9/7/99 James Ridgeway "…There's no question an unusually high number of people around the president- according to some lists as many as 100- have died accidental, violent, and at least superficially suspicious deaths. The latest occurred the week before last when Lieutenant Colonel Mark Cwick, a Marine Corps helicopter pilot who was a member of the unit that ferried the president and other high-ranking officials around the Washington area, died when his car swerved off the road to avoid a collision with an auto that had just passed him. Cwick, 41, was pronounced dead on August 20 in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Within Cwick's elite Marines unit, two other strange deaths are known to have occurred. In April, Major Marc Hohle, who had been a pilot for Clinton in the first year of his first term as president, died in a helicopter crash on Okinawa. In March, another member of the special unit, Corporal Eric S. Fox, a helicopter crewman, was found dead of a gunshot wound to his head. Fox's body was found near a West Virginia schoolyard after his auto crashed. His death was ruled a suicide, but no explanation was given. …." Dan Jacobson 1/1/99 "……The first [crash this year related to Clinton] occurred on April 24, 1999. A CH-53E U.S. Marine helicopter crashed into the Pacific off Okinawa during a training exercise. Major Marc L. Hohle was among the four crew members killed. He had flown Bill Clinton during Clinton's first term in office.

A second aviation mishap this year occurred May 8, 1999, when Jim Inhofe, a U.S. Senator from Oklahoma, made an emergency landing in his 1979 Grumman Tiger. He was flying alone on his way to meet with Bill Clinton in storm-ravaged Oklahoma City. Inhofe had been in the air about ten minutes when the propeller dropped off his plane. He glided the tail-heavy plane for eight miles and made a perilous, high-speed landing in the grass at a small municipal airport. He suffered no injury, but his plane was damaged. Inhofe, who has been one of Clinton's biggest adversaries in the Senate, said he was suspicious about the incident, and his press secretary said Inhofe's office had requested the FBI to investigate because "propellers don't just fly off airplanes every day." Nicole Lupino, the NTSB official in charge of the investigation into the incident, said that losing a propeller in flight is extremely rare. There has not yet been a final report on the mishap.

The third incident this year was the crash that killed John F. Kennedy Jr. His plane went down in July in apparently poor weather on his way to a wedding in Martha's Vineyard. After the death of JFK Jr., Bill Clinton reminisced about the tour of the White House he had given him the year before. As a law student, JFK Jr. worked in the Los Angeles office of Clinton's former adviser, Mickey Kantor. It was there Clinton said he met Kennedy. In 1995, Clinton's re-election campaign repeatedly approached him with an offer to join them, but Kennedy wasn't interested.


Admiral Donald Engen

DOD News Briefing 9/10/96 "…..Today, Secretary Perry appointed retired Vice Admiral Donald Engen to head a team conducting an independent review of the Department of Defense Executive Support Air Fleet. As you know, the White House asked for such a review on Friday after two incidents involving Marine Corps helicopters. Vice Admiral Engen is also the former head of the Federal Aviation Administration and he ran the Air Force safety review that General Fogleman called for last year. ……. This review will examine all relevant practices and procedures affecting the reliability and safety of the executive air transportation by this Department. It will look at training, operations and maintenance. …… Admiral Engen was a Naval aviator and held a number of important posts including commander in chief of the U.S. Naval Forces in Europe, and this study should be done in 30 days. ……. He will be heading a team of undetermined size. The team is in the process of being put together and they will as I say review all aspects of the executive air support. ….."

DoD News Briefing Mr. Kenneth H. Bacon, ASD (PA) 12/3/96
"…..many of you have already picked up, I think, a copy of the report on executive aircraft used by the White House and other distinguished government travelers. This report was commissioned by Secretary Perry and it was led by Vice Admiral Donald Engen, who is a retired naval aviator. He became the Director of the Federal Aviation Administration, and now runs the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum. So he's Mr. Aviation. …… He reviewed the planes used to transport the President and to support other White House missions. Those are basically the planes in the Air Force 89th Air Wing from Andrews Air Force Base, and the Marine Helicopter Squadron One from Quantico, Virginia. …… His findings were that the executive air fleet operates in a very safe and reliable way, and he found that the presidential airlift provided by the Air Force and the Marines has been virtually flawless. He basically divided his review into two areas. He looked first at the aircraft both from the Air Force and the Marines that carry the President. That's Air Force One, obviously, and Marine One. Those are the ones that he found were, as he said, virtually flawless……

Then he looked at support aircraft that support White House missions. It would be either backup aircraft -- they would be aircraft to carry equipment, communications equipment, to carry staff, and other support elements of a presidential travel mission -- and also aircraft that carry Cabinet officials, sometimes Supreme Court Justices, sometimes members of Congress. It was this overall fleet that he found has been operating very safely and reliably. He did make several recommendations for both the Air Force and the Marine Corps. Secretary Perry has passed on those recommendations to both the Secretary of the Air Force and the Secretary of the Navy and asked them to report back to him in 60 days on how they plan to deal with the recommendations. So you have that package. The recommendations for the Air Force deal with the modernization of the fleet; some deal with the definition of a certain training level; one deals with command and control of the presidential pilot office. And the recommendations for the Marines also deal with buying some new helicopters and relooking at an organizational table for the way the operation is run. With those comments, I'll take your questions.

Q: I wasn't able to get through every page of it, but was there a reference to the Brown, Secretary Brown's...
A: No, that was not... That was part of a European Wing. It wasn't part of the 89th Air Wing. Basically this report was requested by the White House Chief of Staff, Leon Panetta, on September 6th of this year after two Marine Corps helicopters both had mishaps, and that followed shortly after an Air Force C- 130 crashed taking off from Wyoming. So Leon Panetta asked the Secretary of Defense to review the safety procedures of the executive airlift operation.

Q: When they talk about defining a certain level of training for the pilots, are they talking about a higher level of training beyond that which the Air Force requires?
A: First, in answering all these questions, I again want to make sure that you focus on the fundamental distinction between the planes and crews that fly and maintain the President on the one hand; and all the others, on the other. We're looking now at the others, because the training requirements and the experience requirements for those who fly the President -- either in fixed wing aircraft or helicopters -- are extremely high. They're high also in all the others. They're not as high, though. One of the findings of the report was that for some... That the Air Force considers its most difficult missions to be those that involve aerial refueling, that involve airdrops, and involve certain other air procedures. They don't regard flying people in a transport capacity or civil air type capacity to be as demanding a mission as those that require air-to-air refueling, airdrops, or other procedures. So they tend, everything else being equal, to assign the most experienced pilots to missions that require air-to-air refueling and other activities like that. It asked that they review the experience levels required for flying in the 89th Air Wing. This only applies to fixed wing aircraft -- the Air Force part of it. That's what they mean. The regulations do say that the pilots have to be highly qualified, I think is the term they use, but there's no definition of what highly qualified means. So it asks that there be some attention given to defining the level of experience and training necessary.

……Q: If I could go back to this investigation for a moment. The report, as you noted, said that VIP and civil airlift have received exceedingly low accident rates, but it also notes regardless, there's a perception among many passengers that flying is unsafe. When you have a series of high profile accidents like the helicopter one and the C-130 crash, does it create a false impression about the safety of the fleet, do you think?
A: I don't have, unfortunately, my copy of the report here. I thought it said that there was the impression on the part of some in the press that there might be a safety problem. I think every time there's a crash people worry about safety. This report is very clear and forthright in pointing out that these are human institutions, the planes are flown by humans, they're maintained by humans, and that no human institution is infallible. But the people who fly the President and maintain his planes, and the people who fly the planes for other distinguished travelers and maintain those planes, are doing the best job they can. They're operating at very high standards, and they're required to operate at very high standards. Having said that, you can always find ways to lift standards even higher. That's what the proposals and recommendations were designed to do. ….."

Archy 6/6/97 "……Retired from active duty in the Navy, he is currently the Director of the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum. …….. Admiral Engen joins such past aviation greats as Igor Sikorsky, General James Doolittle, and General Charles Yeager in receiving the Godfrey L. Cabot award. …… Admiral Engen had a long and distinguished career in the Navy, starting in 1942 when he entered as Seaman Second Class. During his career as a Naval aviator he was awarded 29 decorations, including the Navy Cross. In 1978 he retired as Vice Admiral; he was then serving as Deputy Commander-In-Chief of the U.S. Atlantic Command and the U.S. Fleet. In 1984, he was appointed Administrator of the FAA by President Reagan and held that position for three years. Before that he served as President of the AOPA Air and Safety Foundation and served for two years on the National Transportation Safety Board. He also served in industry and general aviation as General Manager of Piper Aircraft, Lakeland Division and as Director of Government Operations for Piper's Corporate Division.

Archy 6/6/97 "……For his achievements as an engineering test pilot Admiral Engen was inducted into the Test Pilot Hall of Fame. He received the Doolittle Award for Technical Management and was honored by the NAA as an Elder Statesman of Aviation. And in 1992 he was recognized abroad for his accomplishments when the Soviet Union awarded him the Yuri Gagarin Gold Air and Space Medal for his lifetime work in aviation……… "

Press Report 7/14/99 "……MINDEN, Nevada -- …… Engen and longtime friend William Ivans of La Jolla, California, were killed Tuesday when Ivans' glider broke apart and crashed into a field several miles east of Lake Tahoe. Engen was 75, Ivans 79…….. Engen was appointed by Smithsonian Secretary I. Michael Heyman. Air and Space is the most popular of the 16 museums and galleries operated by the institution……. A much-decorated Navy pilot, Engen retired as a vice admiral in 1978. He was administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration from 1984 to 1987, and served for two years on the National Transportation Safety Board. At the FAA, Engen levied a series of fines against airlines, including a $9.5 million penalty against Eastern Airlines for alleged safety violations. Engen also revised the way the FAA kept track of near-collision reports to make it more accurate. But critics said that under Engen, the FAA continued to react to safety issues instead of being on top of them. Engen left the FAA amid reports of a stormy relationship with then-Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole, who is now seeking the Republican nomination for the 2000 presidential race. Engen later told a Senate panel that while he headed FAA, the Transportation Department sometimes added months to the time his agency needed to implement new air safety regulations. The FAA is a branch of the department. Engen, who lived in Arlington, Virginia, was married and had four children……"

7/15/99 Press Report "……MINDEN, Nevada - Investigators are probing splintered wreckage to find out why a glider broke apart and spiraled to earth at 200 mph, killing the director of the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum and his friend, a world-renowned pilot…… Bob Francis, vice-chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, led a federal team that arrived Wednesday from Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles to investigate the crash - the second fatal glider accident in a month here. …… "Some witnesses said they were experiencing some significant thermal turbulence" at the time, Francis said. Thunderstorms and high winds developed later. He also said Ivans' Nimbus 4DM glider was radio-equipped, but it's uncertain whether there was any transmission as the plane went down. The German-built, dual-control plane also has a type of "black box" flight recorder which will be analyzed. The two victims - Ivans in the front pilot's seat and Enged in the rear - also had parachutes. Francis declined to comment when asked whether they might have been unable to get out of the plane as it rocketed to the ground at an estimated 180-200 mph. He also said NTSB investigators will look into reports that two other gliders similar to Ivans' broke up when speed brakes were used to slow rapid ascents. "To get a break-up, you need some serious forces, whatever it was," he said. ……. Glider pilot Kenny Brieglieb, flying above Ivans' aircraft, also saw the crash. Larry Sanderson, president of the Soaring Society of America, said Brieglieb told him that the plane was "nose down with the wings flexing greatly" before breaking up seconds later. Sanderson, a friend of both victims, said one potential problem is that a wing could stall when a glider makes turns in a thermal - air rising rapidly from a sun-heated surface. Ivans was circling upward in a thermal when his plane broke up, witnesses said. "The same conditions that produce world-class gliding can challenge you as well," Sanderson said, adding that "it had to be a very unusual set of circumstances that stressed the aircraft." ……….."

7/22/99 Washington Post "…..The death of Don Engen deprives aviation of one of its most distinguished officials ["Air & Space Director Engen Dies in Crash," front page, July 14]. His amazing career extended from a World War II hero, test pilot and Navy admiral, to member of the National Transportation Safety Board, to administrator of the Federal Aviiation Administration…."

Archy "….Funeral Arrangements for Admiral Engen Admiral Engen's funeral will be held on Friday, July 23, 1999, 9:30 a.m., at the Washington National Cathedral. The Cathedral is located at the corner of Wisconsin and Massachusetts Avenues. Parking is available in the neighborhoods north of Cathedral off of Wisconsin Avenue. It takes time to find a place and walk to the Cathedral so allow extra time. Interment will be at Arlington National Cemetery at 11:30 a.m. There will be a motorcade from the Cathedral to Arlington. ….."

9/13/99 NTSB Identification: LAX99MA251
Accident occurred JUL-13-99 at MINDEN, NV
Aircraft: Schempp-Hirth NIMBUS 4DM, registration: N807BB
Injuries: 2 Fatal.
"……. On July 13, 1999, at 1310 hours Pacific daylight time, a Schempp-Hirth Nimbus 4DM motorized glider, N807BB, experienced an in-flight breakup while maneuvering near Minden, Nevada. The commercial glider pilot and a passenger were fatally injured and the glider was destroyed. The personal flight was operated by the owner/pilot under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91. No flight plan was filed for the local flight. The glider is certificated in the United States in the experimental category for exhibition and racing. A production glider in Germany, a standard/utility category airworthiness certificate was issued by the German civil aviation authority.
The glider departed from Minden airport at 1240. A glider pilot witness stated he was soaring about 1,000 feet below the accident glider. The witness observed the glider in a high-speed spiral with a 45-degree nose down attitude. After two full rotations, the rotation stopped, the flight stabilized on a north easterly heading, and the nose pitched further down to a near vertical attitude. The glider was observed to level its attitude, with the wings bending upward and the wing tips coning higher. The outboard wing tip panels departed from the glider, the wings disintegrated, and the fuselage dove into the ground. Other witnesses have subsequently stated the glider was in a tight turn, as if climbing in a thermal, when it entered the spiral. The glider appeared to be recovering from a spin. A second witness was in another glider between 9,000 and 10,000 feet and observed portions of the accident sequence. He immediately headed for the airport to report the accident and encountered "very turbulent" conditions with a sudden 40-knot airspeed increase. He characterized the conditions as "more choppy than normal" and further stated that "controllability was not unmanageable but was rough." The glider is composite construction. Reconstruction of the glider revealed that all primary and secondary flight control surfaces, including mass balance weights, were within the wreckage distribution path. Control system continuity was established….."